Onyx Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outlands maybe?

4 posters

Go down

Outlands maybe? Empty Outlands maybe?

Post by Discordia Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:41 am

I've heard talks of Outlands quite frequently around the site and server, people being lost there, being labeled as anti-citizens, etc. Plus the fact that a majority of Conscripts are shipped off to complexes (their own special little bases) in the Outlands in order to practice military training and hunting down remaining anti-citizens within their authorized locations.

Conscripts are the worlds remaining non-transhuman military force, the remnants of former militaries and such before the 7 hour war, some child soldiers, some regular military veterans and some are even trained to be the elite in their standards. Using scraps of pre-war technology and training, this unit of military unit is much easier to produce and are by every definition of the word expendable. They do not require transhuman augmentations, fresh training, Dispatch or any sort of Combine technology, they are simply expendable playthings and underlings of the much more elite Overwatch Transhuman Arm.

In the Cities, they take orders from the MPF Elites and are often bundled up in their own little living quarters and only released when in dire need, however in the Outlands they receive orders directly from the Universal Union and are given former military outposts as headquarters. Their main job is to pick off smaller numbers of anti-citizens, resistance and rebellion members and either amputate them or ship them back off to their respective cities for punishment and re-integration. In their sectors of outlands, they are not limited to scouting and hunting in groups outside of their headquarters and are free to do what they wish to any non-valuable life detected.

Somewhere on the outskirts of City 26, a new sector of Outlands has been populated by Conscript units stationed in a former missile research facility along with escaped sub-citizens and anti-citizens. There is no safety from deadly exogen breaches, such as Houndeyes, Headcrabs, Zombies, Antlions and the sort, along with freed Vortugants often escaping to this area to avoid further slavery. There are no stores, no rations, no police force in the Outlands, here citizens must fend for themself and find their own source of food, defense and shelter from the creatures that lurk.

If a citizen is captured by a unit of Conscripts, it is never truly certain amputation by them, they can either be shipped off to Nova Prospekt, converted into OTA units, stalkers or even kept around and brainwashed to be apart of the Conscripts. However, death can be a punishment and it varies based off of IC decision and admin decision on if you actually deserve the whitelist for the said factions.
I've had a dedicated GMod server, along with the HL2RP clockwork schema set up for awhile so I decided to slap on a map and a ton of nice plugins/addons. I've compiled a list of plugins and addons that have been added for enjoyment of the users and such.

• Day/Night skybox, although the map has various weather effects already.
  • RP Ineu Pass, a very nice Outlands map.
  • HL2 Beta models, along with Conscript models and TNB pack, along with item plugins for the tidbits.
  • Half Life 2 beta weapons, along with a Combine Sniper weapon introduced for the lulz.
  • Driveable Combine APC for those rare OTA raids and sweeps.
  • Zombies, Vortugants, Refugee and Conscript (Conscript is WIP) factions introduced.
  • Since no rations and such, I've introduced a new items plugin for food, alcohol, drugs and uniforms.
  • Simple bodygroup changer, very useful for Conscript and TNB Models.

Tl;dr I've set up an semi-working Outlands server, made a write up and I think it'd be great for survival and Conscript RP considering Conscripts are pretty much worthless at the moment, I'd love to donate the server for better use so any of the stuff I've introduced is up to change if you guys like the idea.
Discordia
Discordia

Back to top Go down

Outlands maybe? Empty Re: Outlands maybe?

Post by Roachdaripper Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:49 am

Discordia wrote:

• HL2 Beta models, along with Conscript models and TNB pack, along with item plugins for the tidbits.
  • Half Life 2 beta weapons, along with a Combine Sniper weapon introduced for the lulz.
  • Zombies, Vortugants, Refugee and Conscript (Conscript is WIP) factions introduced.
  • Since no rations and such, I've introduced a new items plugin for food, alcohol, drugs and uniforms.

1. Industrial already has its own addon which controls Day/Night and switches on/off the lamp posts on the map.

2.Industrial already has an Outlands area (albeit a small one.) called Shell Beach. It's basically a small Coast, I remember back in my old Dedi server I put in the Canon that Shell Beach leads to a small town that has been shelled and is thus filled with zombies (the town in the background of Shell Beach) because of this the beach was swarmed with Zombies and that was the reason the UU closed it off.
I don't know if this server wants to adapt that then I don't mind seeing as it was my idea in the first place. Maybe Oktoberfest can "decorate" the area with wasteland props and spawn in a few zombies.

3. I've already suggested HL2 Beta Models but it was received poorly despite it being compatible with TnB and even having its own plugin allowing people to equip the clothing.

4. I've already made a plugin for HL2 Beta Weapons v2 and therefore the addon has already been installed.

5. The Combine APC has already been iinstalled.

6. Zombies and Vortigaunts are already installed, Refugee is basically a sub-citizen and Conscripts aren't necessarily WIP.

7. Alcohol, food, and uniforms exist already. I don't think "Durgzmod" is compatible with Clockwork.

8. I believe a bodygroup changer is already installed, not sure on that though.

Overall, a nice idea.

EDIT: Another reason to use the Industrial Outlands (assuming you don't go with the zombie idea I posted) is to give the Xenos/Biotics/Necrotics a place to be besides the Slums. Perhaps you could leave the entryway open but warn that any citizen going out there will be killed.
I don't think that letting Xenos/Biotics/Necrotics run rampant in the slums is going to do anyone any good, although it would be good to discourage citizens from entering the slums. Most animals live elsewhere than the sewers. So perhaps moving them to the Outlands is the best idea.

This gives Conscripts a job then. When they're not capturing the occasional anti/sub citizen, they can kill animals and stop them entering the city. Think of it as a pest control.
Roachdaripper
Roachdaripper

Back to top Go down

Post by Discordia Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Roachdaripper wrote:
Discordia wrote:

1. Industrial already has its own addon which controls Day/Night and switches on/off the lamp posts on the map.

2.Industrial already has an Outlands area (albeit a small one.) called Shell Beach. It's basically a small Coast, I remember back in my old Dedi server I put in the Canon that Shell Beach leads to a small town that has been shelled and is thus filled with zombies (the town in the background of Shell Beach) because of this the beach was swarmed with Zombies and that was the reason the UU closed it off.
I don't know if this server wants to adapt that then I don't mind seeing as it was my idea in the first place. Maybe Oktoberfest can "decorate" the area with wasteland props and spawn in a few zombies.

3. I've already suggested HL2 Beta Models but it was received poorly despite it being compatible with TnB and even having its own plugin allowing people to equip the clothing.

4. I've already made a plugin for HL2 Beta Weapons v2 and therefore the addon has already been installed.

5. The Combine APC has already been iinstalled.

6. Zombies and Vortigaunts are already installed, Refugee is basically a sub-citizen and Conscripts aren't necessarily WIP.

7. Alcohol, food, and uniforms exist already. I don't think "Durgzmod" is compatible with Clockwork.

8. I believe a bodygroup changer is already installed, not sure on that though.

Overall, a nice idea.

EDIT: Another reason to use the Industrial Outlands (assuming you don't go with the zombie idea I posted) is to give the Xenos/Biotics/Necrotics a place to be besides the Slums. Perhaps you could leave the entryway open but warn that any citizen going out there will be killed.
I don't think that letting Xenos/Biotics/Necrotics run rampant in the slums is going to do anyone any good, although it would be good to discourage citizens from entering the slums. Most animals live elsewhere than the sewers. So perhaps moving them to the Outlands is the best idea.

This gives Conscripts a job then. When they're not capturing the occasional anti/sub citizen, they can kill animals and stop them entering the city. Think of it as a pest control.

Thank you for the reply Roach, I've noticed a lot of similar addons/plugins with the servers, which initially where I took the inspiration for quite a few of them from, and I've also seen the Shell Beach/Sewers area which is quite expansive for what it is, however compared to an entire Outlands map it slightly lacks in size. Like you said, this gives Zombies, Vorts, Antlions a place to legitimately stalk the area for prey and hunt.
Discordia
Discordia

Back to top Go down

Post by Roachdaripper Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 pm

There isn't a way to run both maps, so while the Outlands map is bigger. Where are the cityfolk gonna go?

Shell Beach/Sewers/Slums is better because it gives Exogen a purpose. They obviously can't enter the city because of how well-guarded it is, and whilst the Sewers are an option. Citizens aren't going to willingly go down there unless being forced into it (like using it as a hiding place)

Whereas citizen's will more likely go to the beach because its a nice place to be. Maybe if Okt put a few benches and vending machines down and made it habitable (by this server's standards) then it'd give them a purpose.
Whilst citizen's are there it wouldn't be as heavily guarded as say... The nexus.
Roachdaripper
Roachdaripper

Back to top Go down

Post by Discordia Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:25 pm

To your question of running both maps, I have a server for the said Outlands map, although there is a problem of inbalance of activity on the servers if that were to happen.

Your suggestion on Shell/Beach/Sewer slum is interesting, I merely had the idea of donating my server to the community for use in an Outlands server.
Discordia
Discordia

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggetandSkull Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:35 pm

The difficult part of a community is knowing when it is appropriate, feasible, and needed to expand. The concept of an Outlands server to accompany City is incredibly lucrative but ultimately it's currently impossible to maintain due to our small playerbase. That being said, the idea will not be discounted and I in fact support it for future use. Not only would we be able to offer players more options, especially in the case of escaping the city, but we will also be able to accommodate two types of players: the ones seeking the somewhat stable city style as well as the player that crave the constant danger of Outlands. Right now, we can't use Outlands but if you're still with us and still willing to work with us in the future, I see no reason to turn down Outlands. So long as we have the staff and playerbase needed, it will be an essential addition to the community.
NuggetandSkull
NuggetandSkull
Co-Owner

http://www.onyxrp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Nathan100 Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm agreeing with Nugget here. I have been approached about a 3rd party hosting an Outlands server and I do have the ability to do it myself, but like Nugget said: We don't have the player base to support it. Great idea in concept, I agree, but not practical in our current state. We are simply waiting for the right time.
Dr.Nathan100
Dr.Nathan100
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum